Thursday, January 17, 2013

What I Am Reading and Why

I don't know why.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
I tried to backtrack and can't figure it out. I was reading...Oh wait, I recall now. I was watching an interview with a mother who put her seven year old daughter on a diet. Dara-Lynn Weiss is the author and the book is The Heavy. The interview was brief and trite. So I googled it and while I was reading an article about Weiss, The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother was mentioned. I was intrigued. I also had a faint memory (clearly an issue of mine) of my cousin mentioning the book or someone mentioning it on a blog. I checked it out...Correct on both accounts, here's the link to my cousin's blog.

I read until about midnight last night and again today while waiting in the car for my next interpreting assignment. It's fascinating. It makes me feel so stupid. Literally obtuse, well not literally. The only thing I do that is in any way similar to Amy Chua is yell at my kids. So it isn't even one of the things that is tough now but pays off later like hours of instrument practice. I'm not saying that I agree with the the Chinese model of raising kids but it has more positive aspects than the Western model. There must be a way to get the best of both worlds.

I still have half a book to read. Maybe Amy figures it out.

I tried to get the previously mentioned book, The Heavy, at the library at the same time, but couldn't recall the title or full name of the author. When I drop off Tiger Mother, I'll pick up The Heavy and let you know how it goes.

*theme today = I can't remember crap

1 comment:

Leighann said...

Let me know what you think when you're done. I agree there needs to be a balance.

The Ennis' are always looking for a new tradition to add to our family get-togethers. This blog is our newest addition. We welcome you to enjoy our goings-ons as much as we are.
Click on the 1st video to view 8/9 VLOG
Click on the 2nd video to view 7/31 VLOG
*NEW* Click on the 3rd video to view 9/14 VLOG