Thursday, May 17, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week - Day Four "Fantasy Diabetes Device"

This is what our CDE, Pam stormed into the room with when she saw Riley & his iphone sitting on the exam table today.  This was very appealing to a 13 1/2 year old! Especially if he's the first guy on the block to have one. I'm gonna run right out and get him one...right after he uses the forty boxes of One Touch Ultra 2 or whatever test strips go with his bg meter.

So I was gonna skip out on today's "Fantasy Diabetes Device" topic. We're so new to this. We're just happy Riley's alive. The only change he has had in his diabetes care in these 8 months is when he was able to switch to the Lantus pen instead of Lantus vial/syringes. That was a huge change, it was about twenty days after he was diagnosed and he counted every night down until he could switch to the pen like his Novolog.

Then we got introduced to this very cool little $75.00 attachment to the iphone. Apparently, it's not even on the formulary yet and calls need to be made to insurance, to Sanofi and to the Endocrinologist's office, too. This all sounds so exciting!

I'm happy we found some cool device before we got to wishing for one. I'm not a dreamer, it would have taken me a long time to come up with something. I just don't know enough, YET!

The 3-month appointment went well.  Riley's still in the honeymoon phase, although he's had a few very high highs the past couple before dinner checks. We'll wait and see how it goes. They said he will have high morning numbers when the honeymoon comes to an end. So I'll plan on only getting anxious at that time.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Hi Bonni,

I was wondering if you accepted any guest posting on your site. I couldn’t manage to find your email on the site. If you could get a hold of me at jeff@drugwatch.com, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
-Jeff

Anonymous said...

I want one of those for one of our old iPhones. I wonder if it works w an old phone. What a great use for old iPhones! IBGStar and apple could team up, giving old phones to T1D kids instead of victims of domestic violence. (In my mind, that is where retired phones go.) (I realize they need the phones too! But maybe the data plans are too pricey anyway. I'm digging myself a hole here.)

The Ennis' are always looking for a new tradition to add to our family get-togethers. This blog is our newest addition. We welcome you to enjoy our goings-ons as much as we are.
Click on the 1st video to view 8/9 VLOG
Click on the 2nd video to view 7/31 VLOG
*NEW* Click on the 3rd video to view 9/14 VLOG